Thursday, February 14, 2013

Quit?


Sigh...

I just heard a famous writer (I won't mention who because it's not important) say that when he sees aspiring artist's work that isn't good enough to work professionally, he sometimes suggests that they quit and do something else.

I've been working in this business for 9 years. Skill, technique - this all becomes important when looking for and maintaining a job in the entertainment field. It's a tough business. But said skill and technique come with practice.

Practice doing what you love, folks.  Don't let anyone tell you to quit chasing a dream because they don't think you're good enough. I'm not a fan AT ALL of that writer's work - what if he came to me early in his career and I told him what he's told other artists? That writer wouldn't be enjoying the success his hard work has earned him. I had talent early on but wasn't anywhere NEAR a paid job somewhere. Trust me - many people reminded me and continued to remind me until I got my first gig. Man, good thing I didn't listen. Then how did I grab that first job? Just practice.

So, if you've been out to get your portfolio reviewed and somebody has told you what this writer has told others - nod your head politely, walk away, and ignore them. Yes, you may not be ready to work professionally yet, but if you practice and you're determined, you can absolutely get there. Don't pack up and quit what you love just because some dude tells you to. ALL working artists start out not ready to work for cash. Getting that job takes practice, learning, and determination.

Good thing it's something you love.


~D


No comments:

Post a Comment