Monday, November 5, 2012

Getting Closer!


Good morning! First things first, we have another update (one of my favs, actually) over at Sing Along. Our release date is going to be announced soon which I'm pumped about so we wanted to share a look at some of the final project. To get updated on what's happening, head over to Sing Along Pictures!

Mondays folks... they day coffee tastes the best on. Hope you all enjoyed the weekend. Apart from working on Omo and another project I can't talk about yet (can't wait though!) I spent an embarrassing amount of time combing through ebay looking for all the old toys I had when I was a kid. Man, I remember as a kid just staring at them. I mean, content with just staring at them. I'd think I'm nuts but I know I'm not alone on this. (Right guys? Right???) I remember thinking that they were the peak of toy making - "they look just like the guys!" Just staring and then audibly sighing with satisfaction.

They were perfect.

Now at 31, cruising ebay and seeing the toys again, I realized part of me didn't feel that way. Evil Dave was sitting over my shoulder heckling me, "You liked these?" I looked around my desk at my current tastes in toys or "collectibles" now and noticed a direct difference between these and my old ebay toys. I realized I now judge the quality of the toy on character likeness and the ability to capture it. I justify it by saying I'm now old enough to appreciate the talent and effort it takes to achieve this level of quality.

I remember using the stairs in my house as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles sewer base. The next step up was the city street. The step above was Shredder's Technodrome - and I didn't even have Shredder! A solitary Foot Soldier sat on that carpeted step - but in my mind, he was awaiting Shredder and Krang's orders. He was alone because he was the best. After the orders were received, he moved to the city streets, running through the throngs of startled city people not even stopping for pizza (only good guys ate that). But what's this? The foot soldier noticed a certain manhole cover didn't look right to him. Because he's the best, he knew he found the place. Cars swerved to avoid him as he lifted the cover and jumped through the sewer access, dropping right into the Turtle's base! Of course an epic battle ensued, the Turtles did well for awhile but eventually Splinter had to finish that foot soldier off - but not to death, folks. Splinter tied him up and offered him a chance to turn into a good guy. Which he accepted.

Time warp from those 3 stairs to present day and I'm looking at the actual Turtles Sewer Playset and taking issue with the level of finish and the inaccurate placement of set elements. Did I gain knowledge and experience or lose something more important? (the last one).

Whoops got a little sad there! The point is that as incredible as the new toys are today - they aren't "better", they just make up for the spaces my current lazy imagination used to take care of. Time to whip it into shape.

And for another coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment